MERGE Nursing Review Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

condom or abstinence

Go down

condom or abstinence Empty condom or abstinence

Post by Iloilo Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:24 pm

To Mr Dervid Jungco

Sir, I am a student from Iloilo Doctors’ College. Please allow me to comment on one of the review questions we’ve discussed last Sunday in the review, regarding the best way to prevent the transmission of HIV. The options were condom, abstinence and monogamy. Monogamy was dropped and we were left to consider between condom & abstinence, in the end you said that condom is the best answer. I agree that monogamy cannot give a total assurance to prevent the transmission of HIV because although you may be practicing monogamy, your partner may be having sexual relations with other individuals, unless the couple made an agreement to be in an exclusive monogamous relationship, which was not specified in the question. In my opinion, abstinence is the best answer. Condoms may fail even if used properly, which presents a probability for the transmission of HIV. Abstinence, on the other hand is the surest way to prevent the transmission of HIV. Since HIV is transmitted mainly thru sexual intercourse, there would be a 0% probability that HIV be transmitted to a person abstaining from sexual intercourse, its just totally impossible that you get infected with HIV; which makes abstinence far more effective in preventing the spread of HIV. You have mentioned that humans have sexual needs and as I have understood it, you were implying that abstinence is not the best answer because humans instinctively have an uncontrollable desire to have sex so just use the condom anyhow; but what makes us humans in the first place is our freedom – we are free to decide for ourselves – free to choose what is good, unlike animals whose behavior is controlled by their natural instincts - they cannot say no to it – they are not free, they are enslaved by their instincts. Accordingly, humans are capable of abstaining from sex and animals are not. That comprises our dignity as human beings. In various cultures and beliefs (e.g. Hinduism, Buddhism), there are people who chose to abstain from sexual activities. In the Catholic Church, many perfectly healthy and normal men and women have chose to embrace a life of celibacy and find happiness and fulfillment in it. Celibacy is definitely an expression of human sexuality. I digress. The point I wish to demonstrate here is that abstinence is possible and admirable. The importance of abstinence or abstaining from sexual activities before marriage should be reinforced, especially when teaching adolescents on how to prevent HIV and STD’s. Promoting the use of condoms will result, well, in more condom users and consequently encourage sexual promiscuity, exposing people to greater risk of HIV infection because condoms do always have the possibility of failing. Nurses are trained to be sensitive to the religious beliefs of his/her client. Promoting the use of condoms may offend the religious sentiments of some clients as in most religious denominations, the use of condoms is strongly prohibited.
I think the abstinence should be considered the best answer in that question.

Smile

Iloilo

Back to top Go down

condom or abstinence Empty I agree with abstinence

Post by Uzisero Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:11 pm

Sorry but I cant help but comment on the answer to the question of sir from iloilo doctors college

If the question is asking for the best way to prevent the transmission of HIV/AIDS then I would agree with the answer of abstinence.. How can a person contact HIV/AIDS if there is no sexual contact? Now, some of you might comment that sex is not the only means of transmission, well I would agree but a higher incidence is linked to sex. Furthermore, it has been a common concept that condoms cannot protect against the transmission of HIV/AIDS because of the relatively smaller size of the HIV virus. Condoms are usual recommended to prevent more common STD's like gonorrhea.

Pasensya na. hope my comment helped..

Uzisero

Back to top Go down

condom or abstinence Empty self-control aka sex control

Post by kenkoy Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:25 pm

Comment lang po ako sa statement that sex is part of our basic needs. Very Happy

Tama yun, sex is indeed a part of MASLOW's heirarchy of needs, its even at the physiologic level.. but sir dervid pls remember that sex is culturally (societal and religious) based as well. I beg to disagree that human beings need sex and cannot avoid or control sex. If your stand point is, human must have sex den pano nalang pala yung mga namatay nlang hindi pa naka-sexperience? obvious meron ganyan.. hehehehe.. joke lang. Sex is a matter of choice and i would agree that choice makes us better than animals. Sir from iloilo, valid po yung point nyo and I agree with you 100%. Uzisero, agree din ako sayo. Abstinence is the best way to prevent transmission of HIV. Idea

kenkoy

Back to top Go down

condom or abstinence Empty Re: condom or abstinence

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum